Twenty-five percent of all traffic-related deaths in Oklahoma are associated with drunk driving. A staggering number, but one that is an actual improvement over previous years. Mothers Against Drunk Driving rates Oklahoma as a 4-star state because of its efforts to improve legislation and crack down on DUI’s in the state.
Oklahoma DUI by the Numbers (based on 2012 overall numbers)
One of the biggest areas where Oklahoma has seen an improvement in DUI statistics is in the Under-21 category. Driving fatalities have significantly decreased in this category with DUI legislation making it tougher and tougher on violators.
- 13,801 total DUI arrests (134 from under-21 drivers)
- 206 total alcohol-related fatalities (14 from under-21 drivers)
- 5.3 percent decrease in alcohol-related fatalities
- 62.8 percent decrease in alcohol-related fatalities for under-21 drivers
- 78.6 percent of fatalities involved a driver with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .15+
- 90 percent of repeat offenders had a BAC of .15+
DUI First Offense Penalties in Oklahoma
While there are exceptions that require an ignition interlock device (IID) for first-time offenders, it is not normally a requirement, which is where MADD would like to see improvements to the state’s legislation. Repeat offenders are required to use the device, as are first-time offenders wishing to drive for the first six months after they have served their initial suspension.
- Monetary fines up to $1,000
- No mandatory IID required (see exceptions noted above)
- Minimum of five days and up to one year in jail
- Mandatory license suspension of 30 days
Oklahoma abides by the implied consent law. In this state, anyone refusing to submit to chemical testing will face a fine as well as a mandatory license suspension regardless if he or she wins the DUI case in court.
· Mandatory six-month suspension
· Mandatory 18-month IID after suspension is served
Should You Hire a DUI Attorney if Arrested and Charged in Oklahoma?
Is it ever a good time to walk into a courtroom without proper representation? With so much on the line, would you not be best served to have a skilled, local attorney representing you in your DUI trial? Facing off against a skilled prosecutor is simply not a good idea, so take advantage of the services available on FightDUICharges.com. You will be able to find information on Oklahoma DUI lawyers, a free case evaluation, as well as more information about DUI laws in your area.
- 12 Things To Ask Your DUI Lawyer, For More Possible Ways How To Beat A DUI Arrest Charge Case - January 13, 2019
- Is a Public Defender Any Good for Challenging or Taking On a DUI-Related Court Case? - January 12, 2019
- Is There Any Way to Avoid a License Suspension After a DUI Charge? - January 9, 2019
- How likely is it for a DUI or DWI to get reduced to a lesser offense, such as reckless driving? - January 6, 2019
- Can I Be Fired for a DUI Arrest Charge or Conviction? - January 1, 2019
- Why Bartenders Call New Year’s Eve “Amateur Night” - December 20, 2018
- What to Do When You Have Been Falsely Charged With an Unjust DUI Offense Arrest - November 28, 2018
- Can a DUI get Dismissed if the Officer Did Not Read My Rights During the Arrest? - April 17, 2018
- If I am Convicted or Plead Guilty to a First DUI or DWI Offense, Can it be Expunged Later? - April 14, 2018
- Where Can I Get Help Paying for a DUI Attorney? - March 18, 2018