DUI Death Caused by Excessive Speed
Law enforcement officers are very familiar with the deaths and serious injuries that are caused by drivers who are speeding as well as drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs – the damage caused when these actions are combined can be devastating. Police officers patrolling a few hours south of Los Angeles, California saw a race between two allegedly intoxicated young drivers lead to the death of one of their passengers.
Residents in Chula Vista, California have often complained about the cars that race along East H Street. Early in the morning on October 8th, two 22-year-old drivers decided to race one another along this road, and it was a competition that had fatal consequences. While driving at a speed of 100 mph, one driver lost control of his vehicle, went flying across the median, cut two trees in half, and ended up in oncoming traffic. Fortunately, he did not hit any other vehicles as he traveled across the lanes.
While the driver and the passenger in the front seat walked away from the scene unharmed, the passenger in the back seat was not wearing his seatbelt and was killed on impact when the car came crashing to a stop. The passenger was also 22 years old. Residents in the neighborhood reported hearing screaming tires and a loud crash around the time of the accident. Police charged the driver of the vehicle with street racing, suspicion of Driving Under the Influence (DUI), and manslaughter. The driver of the other vehicle was also charged with street racing and DUI.
In the state of California, those who drive 30 mph over the speed limit on a highway or 20 mph over the speed limit in a residential area while under the influence of alcohol or drugs face additional penalties under the state’s vehicle codes. These codes call for violators to serve a minimum of 60 days in jail in addition to other jail time for any other charges they may have. Also, individuals need to participate in a drug and alcohol education program with others charged with DUI.
Whether your DUI charge involves street racing or was just a poor decision, it is important to seek the legal advice of a knowledgeable DUI attorney. These legal professionals can explain your rights, outline the possible outcomes of the case, and help build a strong defense to use in the courtroom to reduce charges or get the case dismissed.
- Do You Go to Jail for a DUI, DWI? - March 19, 2019
- Watch: How to Get Out of and Beat DUI Checkpoints in Record Time - March 16, 2019
- How to Get Rid of and Clear a DUI Charge From Haunting Your Life in 2019 - March 15, 2019
- Review How 104 DWI Arrests and 71 Traffic Cases Got Immediately Dismissed - March 10, 2019
- DUI Plea Bargaining: What to Know Before Making a DUI Plea Deal - January 28, 2019
- How Long Will My License Be Suspended for a Second DUI? - January 24, 2019
- How Can I Beat a DUI/DWI Case without a Lawyer? - January 20, 2019
- How Long Do I Need To Have An Ignition Interlock Device Installed for a First DUI Offense? - January 19, 2019
- Can You be Charged With a DUI for Driving Under the Influence of Legal Prescription Medication? - January 19, 2019
- What’s Your Chances of Beating a DUI Case with No Breath Test? - January 18, 2019