DUI Death Caused by Excessive Speed
Law enforcement officers are very familiar with the deaths and serious injuries that are caused by drivers who are speeding as well as drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs – the damage caused when these actions are combined can be devastating. Police officers patrolling a few hours south of Los Angeles, California saw a race between two allegedly intoxicated young drivers lead to the death of one of their passengers.
Residents in Chula Vista, California have often complained about the cars that race along East H Street. Early in the morning on October 8th, two 22-year-old drivers decided to race one another along this road, and it was a competition that had fatal consequences. While driving at a speed of 100 mph, one driver lost control of his vehicle, went flying across the median, cut two trees in half, and ended up in oncoming traffic. Fortunately, he did not hit any other vehicles as he traveled across the lanes.
While the driver and the passenger in the front seat walked away from the scene unharmed, the passenger in the back seat was not wearing his seatbelt and was killed on impact when the car came crashing to a stop. The passenger was also 22 years old. Residents in the neighborhood reported hearing screaming tires and a loud crash around the time of the accident. Police charged the driver of the vehicle with street racing, suspicion of Driving Under the Influence (DUI), and manslaughter. The driver of the other vehicle was also charged with street racing and DUI.
In the state of California, those who drive 30 mph over the speed limit on a highway or 20 mph over the speed limit in a residential area while under the influence of alcohol or drugs face additional penalties under the state’s vehicle codes. These codes call for violators to serve a minimum of 60 days in jail in addition to other jail time for any other charges they may have. Also, individuals need to participate in a drug and alcohol education program with others charged with DUI.
Whether your DUI charge involves street racing or was just a poor decision, it is important to seek the legal advice of a knowledgeable DUI attorney. These legal professionals can explain your rights, outline the possible outcomes of the case, and help build a strong defense to use in the courtroom to reduce charges or get the case dismissed.
- Do You Go to Jail for a DUI, DWI? - June 10, 2019
- Getting a DUI While Parked or Sleeping in Your Car - June 2, 2019
- How to Find a Good DUI Lawyer – Everything You Need to Know Not to Get a Bad DUI Attorney - May 15, 2019
- I Just Got a DUI and Need My License for Work to Keep My Job. What Can I Do? - May 5, 2019
- How Long Do I Need To Have An Ignition Interlock Device Installed for a First DUI Offense? - May 2, 2019
- What Are My Chances of Beating a First Offense DUI Case? - April 25, 2019
- I Was Arrested for DUI, but Don’t Have a Court Date Yet. How Long do the Police Have to Charge Me With a DUI Offense? - April 19, 2019
- What Happens if I Can’t Afford to Hire a DUI Lawyer? - April 15, 2019
- How to Get Rid of a DUI, Clear a DUI Charge From Haunting Your Life in 2019 - April 14, 2019
- How Can I Beat a DUI, DWI Charge on a Technicality if There are Police Report Errors? - April 5, 2019